What’s a social story?
A social story is a concise descriptive tool, used to illustrate a situation, event, concept or desired skill. Social stories model appropriate social cues and/or behavior, different perspectives of
What are Social Stories™? Carol Gray of the Gray Center for Social Learning and Understanding developed Social stories™ and provide information on what to expect.
How Can Social Stories™ Help My Child?
- Assisting with and preparing for transitions or new experiences, e.g., the first day of school
- Supporting development of self-care skills, e.g., getting dressed
- Encouraging appropriate social skills, e.g., turn-taking in play and conversation
- Modeling expected or appropriate behavior
- Demonstrating what is unexpected or inappropriate behavior
- Understanding others’ perspectives and responses to situations
- Managing unexpected or stressful events or changes to routine, e.g., a new teacher
- Developing positive self-image/encouraging self-esteem
Scroll down for three free printables you can use to prepare a child for their transition back to school!
Chatterboxes offers quality Speech-Language & Occupational Therapy in Boston, MA. We also offer flexible service options for your family. Call us today at 617-969-8255 or visit us at 121 Mt Vernon St, Boston, MA 02108.